Grumpy Groundhog Activities
Every year on Groundhog’s Day, we wait for a small creature’s shadow to predict the arrival of spring. This Groundhog’s Day, increase the excitement with Novel Effect! We’ve got fun Grumpy Groundhog activities that encourage creativity and critical thinking. Students of all ages will work on vocabulary, coax the groundhog out of his cozy den, and more.
Through the included activities, students will be able to:
- describe and illustrate the problem and solution.
- sequence the story.
- respond to writing prompts.
- draw slippers and breakfast for the groundhog.
- write a motivating news article.
- sort rhyming words.
- inquire and research about groundhogs.
- sort true and false statements about groundhogs.
- participate in a class vote.
- learn about the history of Groundhog Day.
- reflect on and respond to comprehension questions and writing prompts.
Activities can be used to differentiate instruction for students, to provide them with a choice, or to focus on a particular skill.
Download Grumpy Groundhog Activities
To print or download PDFs of Grumpy Groundhog activities, click the blue button below. Then select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window that opens. If the PDF doesn’t appear below, try refreshing your browser window.
About the Book and Soundscape
Oh no! Is Groundhog gonna get up from his cozy bed? He’s supposed to predict spring, but he’s just too comfortable. Everyone works together to get Groundhog out. This delightful rhyming story will put a smile on students’ faces.
This soundscape combines cinematic winter magic for the outside setting, cozy guitar for the groundhog’s den, and frazzled polka-rhythms for the unrest being stirred about in the town as the groundhog delays his prediction.
It switches between orchestral music and simple, relaxing guitar music. This is a magical way to describe and differentiate the mayor and groundhog.