Our Class is a Family Activities That Build Community
Pair Our Class is a Family Novel Effect read-aloud with no prep book activities to keep students engaged.
Select from over a dozen of activities that support English Language Arts and Math while generating back-to-school excitement. As a result of the activities included, students will be able to:
- interact with the soundscape.
- draw a new book cover.
- draw something they are excited about for the school year.
- put words in alphabetical order.
- write sentences with story vocabulary.
- interview each other.
- define story vocabulary.
- match rhyming words.
- write math equations about themselves.
- complete a classmate scavenger hunt.
- complete a word search with story vocabulary.
- reflect on story elements with discussion questions and writing prompts.
- play 2 Truths and a Fib to learn about each other.
Each activity can be used to differentiate instruction for students, to offer them a choice in learning, or to focus on a specific skill.
Download Our Class is a Family Activities
To print or download PDFs of Our Class is a Family book activities, click the dark grey box in the upper right corner below. Then select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window that opens. If the PDF doesn’t appear below, try refreshing your browser window.
About This Book
Shannon Olsen illustrates the power of a classroom community in Our Class is a Family. By doing so, students learn that their classroom is a safe place where they belong. The heartwarming soundscape makes this a perfect back-to-school read-aloud.