Rolling Thunder Activities That Honor Veterans
Veteran’s Day honors those who serve or have served in the military. Rolling Thunder is Kate Messner’s lyrical tribute to veterans. With Novel Effect’s soundscape and Rolling Thunder activities, students can learn about Veterans Day and show their gratitude.
These literacy-based activities include connections to Social Studies content and standards. Over thirty activities honor our vets while meeting student needs and interests. With the activities included, students can:
- color in the American flag.
- write character traits that describe veterans.
- sort words in alphabetical order.
- respond to a writing prompt.
- write sentences with story vocabulary.
- match rhyming words.
- complete a KWL chart.
- illustrate American symbols.
- write a letter to a veteran.
- complete a Venn diagram.
- complete a Frayer model.
- write about the story’s theme.
- research Memorial Day or Veterans Day.
- reflect on the book.
- complete a word search.
- complete a crossword.
- generate questions to ask a veteran.
- reflect on and respond to discussion questions and writing prompts.
When selecting which activities to use, they can be used to differentiate instruction, provide students with a choice, or focus on a particular skill.
Download Rolling Thunder Activities
To print or download PDFs of Rolling Thunder activities, click the blue button below. Then select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window that opens. If the PDF doesn’t appear below, try refreshing your browser window.
About the Book and Soundscape
Kate Messner’s lyrical story honors the bravery and sacrifice of our American heroes – the ones who have returned home, and those who haven’t. You’ll be swept up into the story with the patriotic music and sounds of celebration as you read along with the soundscape.