Fry Bread Activities
Fry Bread is a lyrical story that teaches the tradition and symbolism behind this Native American food. Fry Bread activities extend and enrich the understanding of family, community, and heritage. Students engage with Social Studies skills that center on culture and the traditions that define us. In addition, they can work on English Language Arts Skills like symbolism, main idea, and themes. Choose from over a dozen activities, and students will be able to:
- create a new book cover.
- illustrate the ingredients for fry bread.
- illustrate comparisons to fry bread.
- illustrate food that reminds them of their family.
- write facts about fry bread.
- define story vocabulary.
- reflect on the book.
- describe the book’s theme.
- research topics related to the book.
- learn how to make fry bread.
- reflect on and respond to discussion questions and writing prompts.
- share special family meals and traditions around food.
Target specific skills while differentiating instruction with fun and confidence. The included Fry Bread activities also allow for student choice.
Download Fry Bread Activities
Click the blue button below to print or download PDFs of Fry Bread activities. Select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window. Try refreshing your browser if the PDF doesn’t appear.
About the Book and Soundscape
Fry bread is more than just a bread. It is a symbol of family, history, memory, and community.
All of these symbols are felt while reading with the Fry Bread soundscape.
As the dough is kneaded, you’ll hear Nez Pearce music. The tradition of this food is captured by tribal singers. The Nez Pearce voice actors demonstrate the importance of family.
Download the Novel Effect App to bring stories to life with music and sounds that respond to your voice.