Effective as of September 4th, 2020
As described below, the information we collect from school administrators, teachers, parents, guardians, and students in connection with their use of our Classroom tier of service is used to provide the Service to your school and to inform and improve those Services.
- Novel Effect fully complies with COPPA and SOPIPA, and Novel Effect strives to ensure consistency with FERPA.
- We believe that schools should have control over their student data. Any student data generated on the Novel Effect service within the school environment is owned by Novel Effect, but you may at anytime instruct us to close your account and delete your students' data.
- Upon authorized written request from the school or district, Novel Effect will close your account and delete your student's names and email addresses from our servers.
- Novel Effect does not use student data for commercial purposes. Classroom or student devices use anonymous log in methods.
- Novel Effect employs industry-standard network security and encryption technology to protect student data end to end in transit and in storage.
- In the event Novel Effect becomes aware of any illegal disclosure of your students' personal information, Novel Effect will promptly notify the impacted teacher/school.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
In providing our Services, we and our service providers may collect the following:
- Information submitted by a teacher about himself or herself, such as first and last name, email address, profession, username and password, country of residence, school name, and school zip code.
- We do not collect any personally identifiable information from a student or classroom device. Devices authorized by the teacher as a classroom or student device are logged in anonymously.
- Information about the use of the Services, including a user’s general location (based on IP address or GPS), when, and for how long a user accesses our Services, what content a user views, and what actions he or she takes.
- Information about the results of the speech recognition algorithms, including the words read aloud from a book and the timing of the spoken words to determine the effectiveness of the speech recognition services.
- Information from and about a user’s device, such as mobile device type, browser type and version, operating system name and version, IP address, and referring URL. We collect this information automatically when you access our services, to help us understand usage, diagnose problems, administer our Services, and provide support.
- Information collected through cookies, which are pieces of information stored directly on a user’s computer, and other persistent identifiers. We and our service providers use this information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to personalize your experience while using the Services, and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Services. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- Information collected through pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) or other, similar technologies to track how you navigate through our Services, so that we can understand, for example, what links are clicked and what content is accessed and for how long.
- The Novel Effect Service utilizes an on-device speech recognition engine and processes all speech locally, on the device. Audio data, such as audio recordings, are not stored or shared for any member of the Classroom tier of service.
2. HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use and disclose the information we collect:
- To permit teachers to tailor and optimize our Services to the needs of a particular classroom or student.
- To offer students feedback and support, permit them to access information shared by their teachers, suggest other content or activities for them, help them track their own progress and maintain a file of their work, and allow them to create a collection of books.
- For analytics purposes, to understand how our Services are accessed and used, and how they perform, so that we may improve upon their design and functionality. We also perform analytics on aggregate information that does not permit the identification of any individual user.
- To provide teachers with various types of reports, such as reports detailing the performance and progress of a particular classroom.
- To communicate with teachers and parents or guardians, subject to any communications preferences they express.
- To diagnose problems, troubleshoot issues, and provide maintenance and support.
- To our third party service providers, who provide services such as website hosting and customer service, to permit them to provide those services to us.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- We may use and disclose information that does not identify or otherwise directly relate to an individual for any purpose, subject to any restrictions imposed by applicable law.
3. THIRD PARTY SERVICES
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe the security of your account has been compromised, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
5. USER ACCESS
The law may permit students and their parents or guardians to access certain of their own information. If you would like to seek such access, please email email@example.com
6. RETENTION PERIOD
8. CONTACT US