Sulwe Activities that Shine
How would you describe yourself? What words do you use to speak to yourself? These themes, and more, are included in the Sulwe activities. With over a dozen activities to choose from, students will analyze characters, quotes from the text, themes, and vocabulary.
As a result of the included activities, students will be able to:
- design a new book cover.
- build words and sentences.
- write about themselves with descriptive language.
- compare and contrast night and day.
- write about Sulwe using text evidence.
- reflect on Sulwe’s feelings throughout the book.
- interpet quotes and the story’s theme.
- practice vocabulary words.
- respond to writing prompts.
- learn the meaning of their name.
- reflect on and respond to comprehension questions and writing prompts.
Activities can be used to differentiate instruction for students, to provide them with a choice, or to focus on a particular skill.
Download the Activities
To print or download PDFs of Sulwe activities, click the blue button below. Then select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window that opens. If the PDF doesn’t appear below, try refreshing your browser window.
About the Book
Sulwe wishes her skin was more like her mother’s and sister’s. She feels so very different from her family and friends at school. Then one night, she journeys into the sky. That’s when everything changes and sees her own unique beauty.