In honor of our four-legged friends, we’ve rounded up our favorite picture books about dogs. From lonely strays to spoiled pugs, this collection features something fur everyone to enjoy. Read these “tails” with Novel Effect to bring the story to life with interactive music, sound effects, and character voices!
5 Tail-Waggin’ Tales
- Can I Be Your Dog? tells the story of a lonely mutt looking for a family of his own to love. Arfy writes every house on Butternut Street in the hopes of finding a home. With a bouncy melody that reflects the highs and lows of Arfy’s journey, this picture book is sure to make you smile. | View Book Activity
- Pig the Pug isn’t an ordinary pug. He’s loud, selfish, and terribly messy! His poor friend Trevor has to put up with a lot in this giggle-inducing tale. Chalked full of shudder-worthy sound effects that capture the slobbish sounds of this piggish pup, your read-aloud is sure to be a hit.
- When it comes to kids books about dogs, there are few more beloved than Clifford the Big Red Dog. Join Emily Elizabeth and her friendly fido in this jazzy soundscape. Owning the biggest, reddest dog on the block isn’t as easy as you’d think. How do you feed, bath, or even play with such a gigantic dog?
- If You Give a Dog a Donut he’ll probably ask for some apple juice to go with it. Reading aloud this entry into Laura Numeroff’s If You Give… series is sure to make you hungry! With hilarious sound effects for each new activity that catches the dog’s eye, this dog book read-aloud brings readers on a wild goose chase.
- Where’s Spot? Is he under the bed? In the piano? Eric Hill’s lift-the-flap classic introduces a bevy of creatures that just aren’t Spot. Your own mischievous little learner will get the chance to practice all of their wild animal sounds as you join the hunt for the missing pup.