Trombone Shorty Activities
Play through the day with Trombone Shorty activities. Students will have grand fun discovering their musical nickname, categorizing and designing instruments, making their own music, and more. These are perfect for music, library, and classroom activities. Whether you want to differentiate instruction for students, provide student choice, create fun fast finisher options, or focus on a particular skill, there are over a dozen activities to choose from.
As a result of the included activities, students will be able to:
- compare music to another type of food.
- find their own musical nickname.
- categorize types of instruments.
- design their own instrument.
- write and illustrate story elements.
- write about Troy Owens.
- draw and visualize descriptive language from the story.
- answer comprehension questions.
- compose their own music.
- play Trombone Shorty Says.
- research and view Trombone Shorty’s concerts.
- reflect on and respond to comprehension questions and writing prompts.
Download Trombone Shorty Activities
To print or download PDFs of Trombone Shorty activities, click the blue button below. Then select “print” or “download” from the options in the upper right corner of the new window that opens. If the PDF doesn’t appear below, try refreshing your browser window.
About the Book and Soundscape
Exactly how did Trombone Shorty earn his nickname? We quickly discover that famed musician Bo Diddley was swept away by Troy Adnrews’ talent. Ever since Bo brought him up on stage, he has never left. This story shows how one young boy’s passion and determination to play music turned into a dream come true. Today, he continues to tour with his band, and inspire hope amongst future musicians.
Readers and listeners will feel like they have been transported to New Orleans. This collaborative soundscape includes a live brass quintet that includes a trombone!